Monday 8 October 2012

A Meadows experience


Meadows says plenty of creative license was taken in the film's plot, but he admits there was a period when he didn't see his own best friend -- Brian Fraser, who co-wrote the "Romeo Brass" screenplay -- because of something stupid he did when they were impish youngsters. The details of this event was where our interview began:
Q: The kids in this movie are mischievous, but the way I hear it, you and Fraser were worse. Did you really shoot Fraser with an air rifle at some point and you didn't see him for a few years after that?

A: [Half-sheepishly, half-devilish grin] Oh, definitely.
Q: I take it his mom pulled the plug on your friendship for a while.

A: She'd caught me going out of the house with my Wellington boots full of his soldiers about two or three months before this shooting incident, so I was on pretty shaky ground. So when he went 'round home with a giant red mark and bruise on his stomach, that was the end of that for quite a while. She took him up the whole street, knocked on every door, "Shane Meadows, up the road, blah, blah, blah, look what he's done. Pull your top up Paul" -- pulled his top up, showed them the bruise -- "Put your top down Paul." Next house.
Q: [Laughing]

A: I swear! She went the whole street. The whole street turned on me. She reported me to the police. It was only an air rifle, but shooting someone, well, it's not great is it? If I'd hit him in the eye, I could have blinded him. So the police took me to a young offender's center and showed me around and told me if I ever did anything like that again, this is where I'd be coming. It was deadly serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment